Access Keys:

 
 

About Our School

 

Our Mission Statement

St. Farnan’s is a school community which strives to be inclusive and caring.
We aim to develop all students to reach their full potential, personally, academically and spiritually, so
that they may enrich the school and wider community.

St.Farnan’s is a co-educational post primary secondary school in Prosperous, Co. Kildare. The school opened in 1941 with three classrooms, student numbers have grown over the years and we now have 480 students  attending the school. The catchment area for our school is Prosperous, Timahoe, Donadea, Allen, Allenwood, Coill Dubh, Clane, Robertstown, Staplestown and Kilmeague.


The school has a Board of Management, which is a subcommittee of Co. Kildare and Wicklow Education Training Board (ETB). The Board of Management consists of representatives of the ETB., community representatives, parent representatives, and teachers' representatives. The School Principal is Secretary to the Board and the Deputy Principal sits in at the meetings.

The school runs several courses including Junior Certificate, Junior Certificate Schools Programme, Leaving  Certificate, Leaving Certificate Applied, Transition Year and a Post Leaving Certificate Course in  Information Technology and Office Administration there is also an ASD Unit and a Moderate Learning Unit attached to the school. St. Farnan's offers its students many extracurricular activities and both boys and girls  are actively encouraged to take part in these activities. There are also courses offered to the parents of children attending the school including computing and arts and crafts under the umbrella of the Home School Community Liaison Programme. The school maintains strong links with the community through the Home School and Community Liaison Department.

The original school building opened in 1941. The flat roofed extension was opened in 1971. The next phase was completed in 1989 and officially opened by Minister Mary O'Rourke T.D. in September 1991. The new extension was completed in 2007 and Minister Mary Hanifin officially opened this in October of that year.

School facilities now include a purpose built Art room with Kiln, two Science Labs, a Demonstration room, two ICT rooms, a Music room, a CAD Lab, Engineering, Construction & Home Economics rooms, full size Gym with Fitness Suite and Canteen area. 

An historical note about our Patron - Saint Farnan of Downings:

According to Father O'Hanlon (Lives I.S.S. 2, p. 564.) the site of the old Church at Downings was once the cell of St. Farnan, whose feast occurs in the Irish Calendar on the 15th of February. This saint flourished in the sixth century, and was descended from King Niall of the Nine Hostages.

Beside the ancient cemetery is the Well of St. Farnan; and it possesses-so the local story goes-the valuable property, that those who drank of it never afterwards have any relish for intoxicating drinks. Activated by the popular belief, St. Farnan blessed the well at Downings and called it the "Well of Sobriety", saying that "whosoever drank of its water should never again relish the waters of intemperance". No other details or traditions survive regarding St. Farnan.